Camp Security was a prison camp built in 1781 to detain British troops surrendered by Gen. Burgoyne at Saratoga, N.Y. and their families. Prisoners captured at Yorktown, Va arrived later. It was guarded by York County militia and Continental troops until operations ceased at the end of the American Revolution in 1783. The camp consisted of log huts and a large stockade. Archaeological evidence confirmed its location less than a mile to the south.
Camp Security is the last remaining undeveloped prisoner-of-war camp from the Revolutionary War. One of only a handful to ever be established, it is located just east of the City of York in Springettsbury Township. Camp Security housed over one-thousand British and Canadian prisoners of war between the summer of 1781 and the spring of 1783.
Please consider a contribution to Friends of Camp Security. It costs approximately $25,000 and 60 volunteers each summer to excavate and search for the details of where and how people lived in this camp. The funds we raise at GoFundMe will be entirely spent on these archaeological digs and will provide funding for summer excavations in 2017 and 2018. Please help us with our goal of preserving, interpreting, and commemorating this important United States historic site.